« first day (1931 days earlier)      last day (1767 days later) » 

9:25 PM
in Charcoal HQ on The Stack Exchange Network Chat, 39 secs ago, by SmokeDetector
> Bad keyword in body, bad keyword in title, bad keyword in username
----------
Title - Position 5-10: %uh
Username - Position 5-10: %uh
Body - Position 5-10: %uh
 
user259867
So why it didn't work for me?
 
user259867
16 hours ago, by Normal Human
!!/test yes, %uh is blacklisted but with spaces around it to prevent false positives.
 
user259867
!!/test yes, %uh is blacklisted but with spaces around it to prevent false positives.
 
> Would not be caught for title, body and username.
 
user259867
@hichris123 ^
 
9:30 PM
@Normal you're the chosen one. O.O
 
user259867
It's the comma.
 
!!/test %uh is it the comma?
 
> Would not be caught for title, body and username.
 
!!/test yes %uh it's the comma
 
> Bad keyword in body, bad keyword in title, bad keyword in username
----------
Title - Position 4-9: %uh
Username - Position 4-9: %uh
Body - Position 4-9: %uh
 
user259867
9:35 PM
@SmokeDetector del
 
So it is the comma, and it's the '%uh' beginning at first.
 
But why the comma?
Something to do with a word boundary perhaps?
 
Wait a minute; why is this blacklisted in the first place?
!!/test ­ %uh haha can you catch this?
 
> Would not be caught for title, body and username.
 
O__o
But I put a soft hyphen there.
 
user259867
9:40 PM
probably trimmed by preprocessor.
 
user259867
I think it goes back to ev.message.content_source which I'm afraid goes back to ChatExchange...
 
user259867
... I don't understand how CE works, of course.
 
user259867
Meanwhile, 22 hours left in nomination period on Japanese. Still 3 candidates. Another extension?
 
user259867
@hichris123 Yes, that's it. \b %uh matches x %uh only if x is a word character.
 
user259867
Too much fuss over nothing.
 
user259867
9:52 PM
Space was needed in front though, because % is not a word character. So \b%uh\b would not match typical spam.
 
user259867
I'll just move it to no-word-boundaries.
 
@NormalHuman Three candidates, three mods to be elected. If I was running things (which, of course, I'm not), I'd be tempted to just skip the voting at this point and elect them all. It's not like any of them seems completely awful at a glance.
 
user259867
@IlmariKaronen This is not what SE does. Restarting the Election Nomination Phase for 2015 Moderator Election by Grace Note on meta.japanese.stackexchange.com
 
@NormalHuman You could do something like (?!<\w)%uh, if I remember the syntax correctly. Negative look-behind.
Or just (^|\W)%uh.
 
user259867
In practice it's always spaces. The thing is that the string array in which this string currently resides then gets wrapped between \b, which is counterproductive. So I'll move it to another one which doesn't.
 
10:05 PM
The compiler error kind of gives a hint on this one, doesn't it? — Dmitry Grigoryev 5 hours ago
-> HNQ!
 
@hichris123 Over time, I've understood that the bigger site the less likely the fact that a heated question is a quality one.
 
user259867
> it showing me object object object object object object
 
user259867
@SmokeDetector ignore-
 
@SmokeDetector why
 
10:15 PM
@Doorknob There is no why data for that post (anymore).
 
oh
 
[ SmokeDetector ] Blacklisted user: Free Any Data Recovery 6.1.1.8 by pericati on stackoverflow.com
 
@SmokeDetector tp
 
@EdCottrell Registered question as true positive: added title to the Bayesian doctype 'bad'.
 
user259867
Interesting; the original version of the post was completely different, probably copied.
 
10:21 PM
[ SmokeDetector ] Bad keyword in body, bad keyword in title, phone number detected in title, blacklisted user: Support@1.800.919.0992 Quickbooks tech support phone number by pericati on stackoverflow.com
 
user259867
^ same thing, post-edit.
 
:) I wonder if the longest post in SO database is spam.
 
@SmokeDetector Damn, those spammers are getting clever... now they're making such long posts that it takes longer to scroll down to the "flag" link.
 
user259867
M-F-1 with keyboard shortcuts.
 
@NormalHuman Yeah, it showed an edit about a second after I loaded it.
@IlmariKaronen Yep. I hate those posts. I mean, really, what's the point? What do the spammers even think that's going to achieve?
 
10:34 PM
@EdCottrell I believe they're trying to stuff Google's index so that when someone searches for "Whatever customer support" or something their (presumably scammy) phone number will show up in the snippets on Google.
 
@IlmariKaronen Well, yes, but even Google takes a little time to index SO's homepage, and those posts are usually gone in < 2 minutes. Besides, Google's pretty good at detecting that those posts are spam, anyway.
 
user259867
 
user259867
To the extent that spam phone number was shown with Google Card interface. :(
 
@NormalHuman Okay, I missed that. Wow, that's bad.
 
@EdCottrell I didn't say they're good at it, but presumably it works often enough to be worth doing. And Google can be surprisingly quick to index new posts (which is usually a good thing, but not always). I believe SE actually pings Google any time a new question is posted, so they may grab it in seconds.
 
user259867
10:38 PM
Just tried "gmail support number" again, no card but lots and lots of spam.
 
@IlmariKaronen Yeah, I know they show up pretty quickly in the index, but you'd think that would mean they would also get taken right back out when the post is deleted.
@IlmariKaronen Whatever, "nuke from orbit" is still the correct approach.
 
user259867
 
@EdCottrell Alas, Google's indexing is optimized for quickly finding new content, not so well for getting rid of old stuff.
 
user259867
I left "feedback", but there is no dedicated spam button for that.
 
wonders if SE is serving a 410 Gone for questions deleted as spam.
@Ϻ.Λ.Ʀ. Probably not.
 
10:43 PM
Okay, there is admittedly a lot of junk on the first page of hits for some of these terms. Like this: google.com/search?q=brother+support+number
It's amazing how good Google has gotten at nuking some types of spam without catching this kind of garbage.
 
user259867
@IlmariKaronen Just tested that Outlook post with wget, 404.
 
@NormalHuman Yup... time to post a feature-req, I think.
 
Is there a device that's just like, a hard drive with an Ethernet port and a syslog server?
A tiny little standalone network logger
 
Yeah... Thanks. I was thinking that. I kinda want a product with 0 effort though. I'm long over my diy phase for work.
 
10:49 PM
A commercial network hardware thing?
 
Plus I'd like to include them in new systems and I don't want to be the guy setting them up every time.
Yeah
 
Well, you could always just phone up the NSA :p
 
[ SmokeDetector ] Email in answer: How can I get $(r^{1/x})^x$ to simplify to $r$? by Walt Mezynski on mathematica.stackexchange.com
 
This is the longest Stack Overflow post. Mother of nesting… — bjb568 Nov 17 '14 at 11:50
 
10:50 PM
But something tiny, ideally wall mount. I could throw like a rackstation at everything but its way overkill and takes up a rack slot.
 
@bjb568 A dubious honor :-) It's not a great answer either. Perhaps one day I'll delete it and replace it with a better, shorter answer. — Iain Elder Nov 17 '14 at 17:29
eww the CSS sucks
 
@SmokeDetector o_O
 
Yeah maybe I'll venture into their chat room later
Good idea
20 minute power nap time, peace
 
:)
 
> "100 years ago we were riding horses, burning wood or coal to heat our homes and dying of things that today one injection will cure in a day. HOW DID WE GET HERE?? 10 years of further education (probably 15 to 18 years as most people only got a third to fifth grade education) is not very much. If I got my car to go 10% faster on a freeway I probably not see the difference."
> "Here is the zinger and please don't count me as rude. Was there any influence from out of this world. Trust me, you can tell me, I can handle it."
 
10:56 PM
O_0
 
@IlmariKaronen ...
 
> you can tell me, I can handle it
-_-
 
@bjb568 in an alternate dimension where useless things are great
 
Haaaay...
XHTML is great.
HTML is way too loose with syntax.
 
Somehow the Internet still works predominately on HTML
I like syntax to a point, but at some level it becomes too theoretical and not practical.
 
11:08 PM
@Undo most isn't even HTML5
that doesn't mean anything
 
But it still works.
 
Yes, and we can use text files too, so what?
 
My question would be: What can I do in XHTML that I can't do in HTML?
 
@bjb568 so?
 
Or is it just stricter about enforcing standards?
 
11:10 PM
@Undo that
when weird things start happening because I do <h2></h3> and it gets unnoticed, I'm not happy
 
[ SmokeDetector ] All-caps title: HELP PLEASE ?!?! by Katherine on math.stackexchange.com
 
I don't want to lint, I want erroneous things to be errors.
 
@bjb568 Does it do anything that makes my life harder?
Because that does sound awesome, and there has to be a catch
 
(auto comment) from a Normal Human, I dunno....
 
@Undo No, it's like JS strict mode, there's no reason not to use it, it's just a subset of HTML that contains less gotchas.
 
11:14 PM
Huh, okay
 
@bjb568 you have a million ways to prevent that, you chose to change the hammer instead of the anvil
 
Plus some optional XML fun that comes from it being parsed with an XML parser, like self-closing and namespaces. But you don't need to worry about that.
@Unihedron What ways?
Displaying an error on the page seems to be pretty straightforward...
 
getting a syntax highlighter in vim, for example
 
In… vim?
 
yes, the objectively superior editor
 
11:18 PM
@Doorknob high fives
 
I use atom…
 
atom.io?
 
Atom is nice, but vim is faster once you get used to it
 
@Unihedron o/
 
@Undo how?
 
11:19 PM
@bjb568 I can type far faster than I can use my mouse / trackpad (even with a really nice trackpad)
 
The problem with vim is that not every single textbox being vim gest annoying.<esc>BBehxp
 
You can set custom key bindings and stuff with atom.
If you want, you can make your own packages that do whatever you want.
 
@bjb568 you really have no idea what vim is like until you've tried it. For at least two weeks, preferably.
 
I have.
It's awful, I don't want editing text to be complicated. A textbox is not complicated. Vim is.
 
oh jeez where to start -_-
When you say you've tried vim... what do you mean by that?
 
11:22 PM
ooh I find a thing atom.io/packages/vim-mode
@Doorknob I'm forced to use it when SSHing to my DD server.
and sometimes use it because I'm too lazy to leave the command line
 
So, how do you use vim? Ex. how often do you use, say, the arrow keys?
 
I'm a noob, I don't know any commands. I just push i, use arrows, edit text, escape, and ZZ.
 
... and that is why you hate vim.
 
@bjb568 so as to be expected as a feature from any handy text editor, except atom implements it poorly
@bjb568 the only cure for incompetence is training and education, not escaping from it :P
 
@Unihedron or using a reasonable tool for freaking editing text!
 
11:25 PM
That's like saying "this pair of glasses is terrible" as you try to use it to unlock doors.
 
@bjb568 I can edit a PGN dump in vim in three minutes.
In atom, that would take me fifteen minutes.
 
This is why I don't use linux too. It's not worth it.
 
...
 
Simplicity is key in human interface design. I don't need features.
 
the last time I tried to get atom to work with a task automated, I had to read up their entire journal (they call that a tutorial?!) just to START writing a "package"
and then the task is done and I've spent way too much time at it.
 
11:26 PM
@bjb568 ok, so you're fine with manually sending POST and GET requests to chat instead of using a web browser? Is that what you're doing right now?
 
The most complex things I do with a text editor are done with regex.
 
s,cat,kitten,gm // vim
 
What about programming? Would you rather program in JavaScript or use a hex editor and manually create binaries?
 
@Doorknob No, I'm saying I use a graphical web browser because I don't need the flexibility of using a text based packet sender thing, even if it has shortcuts specific for HTTP.
@Doorknob I'd rather use JavaScript because it doesn't specialize its objects with classes and such nonsense.
 
lolwat
 
11:28 PM
you make me want to chug a gallon of bleach
so I'll be right back
 
user259867
11
Q: Site Graduated!

LudwikAs you can see the new design just went live. Which means this site has been officially launched! Congratulations! Thank you for your valuable design feedback. We have also themed the twitter account and newsletter template for this site. If you see any CSS/styling bugs, please start a new post...

 
Is there a text editor battle going on?
 
user259867
None of that design independent bs for Raspberry Pi.
 
GO VIM!!!
 
@michaelpri no, xhtml
XHTML was made to solve a problem which no longer exists and has no applications outside it aside from fanciness
 
11:29 PM
it stretches its reach
 
but unlike Ruby, its fanciness is non-existent
 
@Unihedron I don't care what it's made for. I use it to solve a problem.
 
@bjb568 a different problem based on its design which is a workaround for the lack of a proper programming tool.
 
What do you have against XHTML? Do you actually use any of the things XHTML prohibits?
 
Even IE doesn't support XHTML.
(Granted, IE doesn't support any web specifications, but still.)
 
11:31 PM
And I don't support IE, what's your point? IE doesn't support anything.
 
@bjb568 Yes, I use XHTML.
 
waitwhat? so you use it but don't like it?
 
I use a glass bottle to hold liquor, not to hammer a nail.
 
underage! :p
So what are you saying XHTML is and isn't for?
 
is for: increasing interoperability with other data formats, or in order words becoming interchangeable (unlike how most HTML DOMs aren't) // ref en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML#Motivation
isn't for: how you're using it to get strict rules so users can't screw up their code with sad syntax
@bjb568 you can never be underaged for anything, even if the law tells you so
 
11:35 PM
hence the colon pee
 
What?
Oh, I get it now.
 
@Unihedron that seems like an idealistic statement that isn't grounded in reality, just because somebody says something is made to do something doesn't mean it doesn't have any other uses
 
@bjb568 so just because regex is used to parse text doesn't mean we shouldn't use it for calculations, right?
hammering a nail: old shoe vs glass bottle problem.
the only sensible solution is to learn to use a hammer.
 
@Unihedron You don't use regex for calculations! :P
 
@michaelpri there's a programming language made of regexes, I think it's called Retina
 
11:40 PM
yeah. A fellow PPCG mod created it :D
 
yep :P
 
it's turing complete because it uses the .NET flavor. Pretty interesting actually
 
XHTML is my hammer <3
 
var XHTML = "the old shoe";
 
There's no reason not to use it. If you want to add a XML syntax error finder thing to your IDE too, fine.
 
11:41 PM
to be clear, XHTML (syntax) extends from XML but HTML isn't, so getting one won't practically help
oh, I'm out of time
 
@Unihedron what?
Why won't it help?
 
@bjb568 because you'd be writing HTML
if not for XHTML
 
HTML is XML with bad parts.
It's not different. It's just speaking XML with rocks in its mouth.
 
the bad parts are what makes it work and why people hate XML for redundancy and not HTML, so there's that
 
[ SmokeDetector ] Bad keyword in answer: Is polyandry legal in the bible? by LUCIFER on christianity.stackexchange.com
 
11:46 PM
At least XML has cdata (which for some weird reason very few people use).
 
Why would you need that?
 
reasons.
 
ok.
 
Anonymous
@bjb568 In HTML, <script> parsing is a special case which is not a legal subset of XML: normally, you wouldn't be able to have characters like < and > in the code without them being escaped. In X(HT)ML, you could wrap the <script> contents in CDATA so they don't need to be manually encoded.
 
Meh, I just manually encoded before I moved it all to external scripts because CSP.
 
Anonymous
11:50 PM
@bjb568 +99 to external scripts + CSP.
 
@JeremyBanks applies to JS too
/* jshint ignore:start */
var inline_src = (<><![CDATA[
/* jshint ignore:end */
/* jshint esnext:true */

// Your code here...

/* jshint ignore:start */
]]></>).toString();
var c = babel.transform(inline_src);
eval(c.code);
/* jshint ignore:end */
directly stolen from tampermonkey's ES6 compiler script
cdata has many applications.
 
Do it external.
 
@bjb568 you're going to compile a userscript externally? :P
another way to pass the time I guess
 
Oh, this is internal browser stuff?
I'm talking about web apps for real users.
 
> real users
because nobody uses web browsers
 
Anonymous
11:54 PM
@Unihedron Uhh... is that E4X? I didn't think standard browsers support XML literals in JavaScript by default.
 
Anonymous
but Firefox does surprise me sometimes.
 
firefox is surprising indeed
 
Anonymous
I, similarly, have used CDATA to embed huge many-line test string literals in ActionScript code.
 
ohgod
 
Migration to @ChromiumDev : complete. So long @firefox , I loved you. That was, before you decided to show ads on the "New tab" page.
I've always used chrome but I saw ^ this, then I stopped caring for firefox
 
11:58 PM
I've always used Firefox and I've never once experienced that
 
cool beans
Gotta run.
 
you said that like 15 minutes ago :P
 

« first day (1931 days earlier)      last day (1767 days later) »