« first day (3150 days earlier)      last day (34 days later) » 
01:00 - 19:0019:00 - 00:00

Rob
1:09 AM
Have you seen this weird bug on Meta newest questions feed - no clickable title, tricky to get to?
It's now deleted, so you'll need enough Rep to view it.
 
 
1 hour later…
2:25 AM
> Welcome to SO! You should consider reading carefully the Code of Conduct. This would answer at least the last paragraph of your question.
that's.... new....
(no, it's not on meta)
Oh, and apparently morning
 
0
A: The Many Memes of Meta

Sonic the Wizard WerehogMeme: Wizard Originator: Shadow Wizard Cultural height: March 2019 Background: Shadow Wizard is one of the most prolific users here on Meta. While their name previously didn't hold that much significance, after another prolific Meta user, Sonic, also adopted the word "Wizard" as part of their ...

@ShadowWizard @PikachuthePurpleWizard @MEEthesetupwizard ^^
 
2:56 AM
Nice, @SonictheWizardWerehog.
 
 
4 hours later…
7:11 AM
78 messages moved to Chimney
 
@rene Hey! I was born in 78!
:D
@SonictheWizardWerehog nice... reminds me of the good days in aspfree forums, a decade ago. :)
 
"Internal 911" LOL, people are seriously running out of names for products
@ShadowWizard That's obviously why he moved only 78 messages
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ ?
 
7:26 AM
@ShadowWizard newest meta.SE spam
Apparently it was some kinda weight loss pill or something
 
@ShadowWizard Should I make fun of you for being old, or young?
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ ohh
> Internal 911 Colon Cleanse Detox Supplement
 
So a laxative? Haha
 
Yup
That help lose weight
 
@Alex try "haha ur fossilized, old kiddo"
 
7:28 AM
@Alex depends when you were born.... ;)
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ Fossils are usually dead, no?
 
@ShadowWizard or gain, depending on the person
A living fossil is an extant taxon that closely resembles organisms otherwise known only from the fossil record. To be considered a living fossil, the fossil species must be old relative to the time of origin of the extant clade. Living fossils commonly are species-poor lineages, but they need not be. Living fossils exhibit stasis over geologically long time scales. Popular literature may wrongly claim that a "living fossil" has undergone no significant evolution since fossil times, with practically no molecular evolution or morphological changes. Scientific investigations have repeatedly discredited...
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ I don't think that means that they're alive.
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ waste has a mass, that's a fact. So have it removed, and you lose weight. ;)
oops loool
 
@ShadowWizard Or get hungrier and eat more to make up for it
@Alex are you assuming their life status?
 
7:33 AM
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ I have enough trouble assuming my own.
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ why hungry? The food has already been processed, you take away only the waste that would have gone by itself anyway 6-8 hours later. :D
 
7:53 AM
@ShadowWizard you're old ;)
 
@rene you're not pingable in Den! ;)
 
8:15 AM
@ShadowWizard The way these drugs are supposed to work actually is by getting the body to throw out the food before absorbing all of its fat and carbs
But eh, if they were half as effective as other human inventions, obesity rates would have diminished
Also the fact that people tend to take them as an excuse to run away from their obesity than a way to help 'fix' it doesn't help it
 
8:30 AM
There is no math section here. You're in the wrong site. If you mean math site of Stack Exchange, I doubt homework questions are on topic there, better check their help center before posting the question. — Shadow Wizard 28 mins ago
@Sha actually
 
Achtachuahlly...
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ oh. Too bad!
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ ?
 
@ShadowWizard not a math.SE regular but my impression is they're way too lenient on homework compared to other SEs
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ well that's up to OP to check
 
Kinda understandable, considering it's much harder to tell them apart without context
 
 
1 hour later…
9:37 AM
> As one of those elements of the community who I consider to be 'bad' your opinion isn't really worth anything to me.
Talk about starting from a conclusion and working backwards...
 
wow
spammer for three years
@JNat cross site spammer, for your handle care. Exists for years this time.
lol they're suspended on SO already.
 
@ShadowWizard veteran spammer
With an eye-patch
And a sexy scar
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ silver badge?
 
 
@Feeds so many whales
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ whatever floats your boat! :P
 
9:49 AM
@Magisch nom nom where is teh drama?
I love how if you respond to that by pointing out why it's a fallacy they'd get even more triggered
 
@ShadowWizard Did you see those pictures of that guy that got 'eaten' by a whale? :P
 
@Tinkeringbell Isn't that like a Tom & Jerry scene where Jerry shoves something into Tom's throat?
 
Probably, but scarier?
 
Considering most whales' diet, I wonder what could possibly make them crave for something as big as a man
 
@Tinkeringbell lol!
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ maybe if he stink like a fish?
 
9:55 AM
@ShadowWizard I don't think they smell food all that much
Just take it in by the tons
But if the food is actually in big chunks, their sensitive digestive tube could be in real trouble
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ I think they said it was probably accidental, also proven by the fact that the guy wasn't swallowed
 
@Tinkeringbell Yeah, my point
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ so you say Jonah wasn't real? :(
 
10:16 AM
@ShadowWizard Who said that was a whale? I always heard it was a monster
Or a big fish. No one ever said it was a whale ;)
 
10:31 AM
@Tinkeringbell hehe, turns out you know Judaism better than me! lol
> Although the word "whale" is often used in English versions of the Jonah story, the Hebrew text actually uses the phrase dag gadol, which means "giant fish". In the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, the species of the fish that swallowed Jonah was the subject of speculation for naturalists, who interpreted the story as an account of a historical incident.
 
@ShadowWizard He, there's a pretty big overlap in the Old Testament ;)
 
@Tinkeringbell overlap?
 
@ShadowWizard Between Christianity and Judaism ;)
I was raised well... with a good amount of 'fear the devil'.
 
@ShadowWizard Yep, pretty much that ;)
 
10:47 AM
@Tinkeringbell If you ever want to annoy your parents you can join the church of satan
 
@Magisch Oh, I'm already annoying them plenty enough.
 
 
1 hour later…
12:03 PM
@Tinkeringbell doing it more is a sure recipe to be kicked out of the house.... ;)
So since @Magi suggested it, move to live with him..... :P
You're both in Europe, so close enough to work. No? :D
batch of three (!): automation, Layer 3, Wordpress @rene @Bart @TravisJ
 
@ShadowWizard Nah, too far away
@ShadowWizard All gone
 
@Tinkeringbell thanks! You're the local JNat! :D
 
No I'm not. I'm me.
 
Nobody is me.
Except for @MEE
But two me becomes meme!
 
12:50 PM
Hello @Josh and welcome to the Tavern! :D
 
@ShadowWizard You forgot "This is an automated system message."
@ShadowWizard If I was simply ignorant I would have said so
I don't think the depiction of the big fish in that story is that of a hunchback whale
Some have hypothesized that it might have been a sperm whale
 
1:12 PM
@ShadowWizard Thanks for the warm welcome =P
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ I skipped whale lessons in school... for me whale is a whale. :D
@JoshDarnell sure thing! I see Josh 2.0 is playing the organ already.... :P
Your brother also renamed?
hmm... don't think that's him... ?
 
@ShadowWizard Nope!
 
> Last seen Sep 2 '17 at 3:45
Poke him with sharp stick and drag him back to SE!!! ;)
So, what triggered the major name change? @Jos
@jad sounded better.... lol
heh, people don't look at bounty reason, or question age... stackoverflow.com/questions/17993471/… lol
 
1:38 PM
@ShadowWizard It's easier to say than "jadarnel27" haha.
But really, I'm blogging now, and trying to get into speaking on tech topics, and thought it would be helpful if I had a more human-readable name out on the interwebz.
 
1:49 PM
@JoshDarnell late bloomer blogger.... kudos! :D
 
Haha thanks.
 
@JoshDarnell scratches head I always read that as 'jardanel27'
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ @jar of @jads
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ I've been called worse!
...I think?
 
Josh can become Bosh
 
1:56 PM
@JoshDarnell AHHH WORSE!
 
Or Hosh?
My kids call me "Bush" which is funny
 
"jardanel" means F-word in bakhshtlophtian.
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ actually... it's fragrance for women!
 
@ShadowWizard Did you invade Iraq?
 
> Jardanel by Jean Desprez is a Chypre fragrance for women
 
1:57 PM
Now I've officially been called worse by @JourneymanGeek.
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ of course
 
Yes you have ;p
 
I'm off the hooks
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ and into the @Books?
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ puts @M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ back on the hooks
 
1:59 PM
What perfume is the one Chris Hemsworth played in an ad of?
 
> Josh Darnell (jardanel27)
New username?
Not confusing at all, right?
 
I wanna call Journey Hugo
He definitely does sound like a Hugo
 
eh as long as you don't overdo it like some people its fine
I once dropped a whole word from my username. A WHOLE WORD
 
If I put my previous (nick)names in parentheses . . .
 
Please god no
 
2:00 PM
No that wasn't one of them
 
renaming to "Shadow Please God No Wizard"
 
@Mithrandir rename to Dumbledir or Gandaldore
 
status-declined
 
Rename to 'Killjoy'
 
status-review
 
2:12 PM
status-mu
 
2:24 PM
@Mithrandir Rename to "Gandalf the Grey Wizard"
 
20 mins ago, by Mithrandir
status-declined
 
2 days ago, by Shadow Wizard
:(
 
2:53 PM
Flair sounds like "flare" though... a hotdog-colored flare...
 
The H&I queue is so depressing
There should be a "send back to triage" button instead of skip because people didn't triage correctly and then it bans the bad triagers :(
 
3:13 PM
lol ironic
 
@SterlingArcher 773 upvotes is a pretty nice incentive for asking a duplicate though :P
 
Right? Where's mine :(
 
Locked in a cage.
Only @g3r has the key to that cage.
 
3:34 PM
Hmm... I just saw a closed question, with 2 diamonds and 4 mods (all of them haven't had their diamonds at that time)
Is there.... a question currently closed with 5 diamonds?!
 
Sounds like how WWIII begins
On SO, does flagging VLQ in the H&I queue provide the same flag as flagging an answer as VLQ?
 
@Bookends There was a post by @Glorfindel about this.#
 
@ShadowWizard key? what key? if I had one, I can assure you I lost it
 
I too, have a bad habit of eating my keys
I have to have my coworker punch me in the stomach just to unlock my car
2
 
3:49 PM
4
Q: Are there any questions closed by 5 moderators?

GlorfindelInspired by this question on Worldbuilding Meta, where a user noted that a question was closed by two ♦ moderators: For some people it might be obvious: one of the moderators wasn't a moderator when closing the question, so their vote only counted as one. This brings the obvious question: is ...

 
and also downvote a random car
@MEEthesetupwizard tanks!
with 20+ mods on SO, the fact that there's no record for SO is quite surprising
 
4:28 PM
Woke up at 11, took some narcotics, ordered lunch, and now planning to emigrate to New Zealand. Seems about right.
My day pales in comparison
 
4:41 PM
Meanwhile, on Area 51 it's an ordinary day.
 
PSA: Blockchain proposals need more PSA
 
Not sure your PSA helped, there is another Steem question on Discussions posted after it.
But maybe without the PSA there would be several.
 
The fact that those 3 older questions haven't been closed is more surprising...
Also, last time it was 3% when I posted it. Now it's 6% with 1 off-topic question. Projecting to 100%, that means......
 
5:16 PM
We'll just create a blockchain based on blockchain.
 
5:38 PM
Flagging as VLQ in the H&I queue always gets disputed -_-
 
@MSOGA Cartaino blockchain?
 
Are there any plans to improve the queue so it's not... awful?
 
We just appointed two mods to clear them.
Do they make progress?
 
It's the triage's fault >:(
 
@SterlingArcher never, ever click that VLQ link, never.
Just don't ask
 
5:41 PM
They would dispute the whole triage instead :p
 
So I'm learning. That's why we need a "return to triage" vote that bans those who sent it to H&I
skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip sk-- no.. wait yes. skip skips skip edit skip skip skip skip
H&I explained
 
What does H&I stand for?
 
Help and Improvement queue :(
 
The Skip Queue
3
 
also yes
 
5:44 PM
The Skip No, Wait, Yes, Skip. Queue
 
@rene tHe skIp Queue?
 
I see what you did thar
 
I see that too :P
 
a hah!
 
Okay. So if I understand correctly there's nothing to help and improve with?
 
5:46 PM
Rarely.
 
@Tinkeringbell it basically is what got pushed out of the Triage queue with a review "requires editing" but that should only be done for posts that can be fixed by us
 
The problem is most of the improvements need to come from the OP, but that isn't you (the reviewer) and so there is nothing to really do to help the post.
 
that ^
 
Comment?
Or are they already there?
 
Commenting can help, although by that time it is unlikely you will get a response.
 
5:46 PM
that doesn't complete the review
 
@Tinkeringbell well done!
Right, all I'm seeing are people improperly hitting "Require's Editing" still thinking it means "OP Needs To Add More Stuff"
And VLQ flags always get disputed so we can't send it back to Triage
 
@Shog9 - I was thinking about something the other day and wanted to get your opinion on it. Over time, there seems to be a trend towards less answers per question. I was curious, because it seems to be by design, but perhaps not intentional. Are we collectively designing and enforcing a set of rules limiting questions to just one answer? Or even just a few? I remember older posts often having multiple answers.
 
It's very frustrating
 
Yeah, it all sounds pretty frustrating...
 
Only if you don't skip the queue
 
5:50 PM
stackoverflow.com/review/helper/22523173 like honestly. what else can i do here besides skip
 
or you are left thinking to yourself
 
There's no way to decline stuff with a 'OP needs to edit this' reason or something (a bit like 'no action needed'? and still complete the review?
 
@Tinkeringbell no, it's either Edit, Skip, or Flag VLQ
 
@SterlingArcher Close vote?
 
5:51 PM
Nope
 
135
A: Please rename the "Should be improved" button

Travis JI agree, the phrase "should be improved" is very ambiguous. I mean, which question couldn't benefit from some improvement? Especially ones which are in need of help to begin with. Of course it should be improved. But can it be? And by whom? These are the two glaring issues with the phrase "shou...

 
Not from the queue
You can vote to close from Triage I believe
 
And perhaps a more informative comment. But I agree none of those will finish the queue
 
H&I would be fine if people understood the Triage queue better, however, fat chance, which is why I think if enough people in H&I hit a button "Return to Triage" those who improperly sent it there would have a failed audit from it
 
You mean a failed review? Audits are a different beast.
Who watches the watchers, though, right? Let's make a review review queue.
 
5:53 PM
Hell, returned questions could even have "This question was flagged from Help & Improvement, please read carefully before deciding the community can edit this question to improve it"
@TravisJ ah yes, thank you
 
I kinda like the idea of somehow warning/blocking people if they make too many reviews that are overridden by other community members, but it probably has some downside I'm missing right now.
 
I think that only moderators can actually impose that type of review oversight.
 
I definitely agree, multiple fails, not just one and done, but I also don't understand the queue flow enough to know if that would have counter-intuitive actions from it
@TravisJ can, or should?
 
can
They do, too.
 
Maybe this button would be elligable for 10k plus?
Because they're more trusted?
 
5:56 PM
I have seen it, when someone reviewing gets so bad that meta gets a whiff of it, eventually a mod will go looking and impose a manual review ban.
It isn't too common though.
 
At least in triage I think a return to sender action (X times) could flag a mod for "maybe this person needs to chill on reviews"
I'm not looking to ban people though, I just want the queue to be... you know... decent.
 
I just don't see any effort from the team really panning out from doing work in these lower use queues though, to be honest. I mean, it is good to improve things, but there are only so many projects you can work on.
An absolute ton of work that gets done we never see because it is automated prevention.
 
@TravisJ It's because mods don't see it either. If anything, I spent more time browsing flags than queues, unless I know there's something bound to pop up in one that I want to get out of there ASAP
 
@Tinkeringbell That is common as well. Most mods will stop reviewing once elected and start only working in the flag queue.
 
Aaaaaaaaaa Offlineeeeeee
 
5:59 PM
Who? What? Where?
 
Wumble
 
Dunno, I was browsing MSE, then it went offline
I didn't do anything wrong this time!
 
Oh, don't worry, that is just the zombie apocalypse.
 
It still looks very much online here.
 
6:01 PM
30 seconds offline, closed as not reproducible =/
 
I think the highest ratio of work-to-results at SO comes from improving the throttle bans for preventing new users from overposting.
 
@TravisJ ? I always thought SO already was pretty strict on those?
 
@Tinkeringbell From my understanding it is a constant work in progress because of the returns
 
Unfortunately still hasn't improved the quality of the new questions page
 
There is a balance between detecting who can ask, and banning those who do.
 
6:03 PM
Anyway, I was amused with bug report linking to live URL for site icons/favicons, resulting like this answer (already closed as no-repro correctly)
 
Has the new Ask Wizard been released yet?
 
@SterlingArcher You would be surprised. Without it in place, you would see an extra 1500 questions that get deleted daily. But, since it is silent, no one notices.
(unless someone accidentally turns it off once)
 
@SterlingArcher in another 6-8 weeks...
 
@TravisJ right, but my guess is the average quality is still the same, just throttled
It all comes down to people still don't understand how to ask a question
Or don't care
 
@SterlingArcher I think Tim said they are about to realise the data on how the trial went soon
A comment on some post somewhere
 
6:05 PM
Well, average in what way? If you consider that the average is in the middle of 12000 questions versus 10500 questions, then perhaps it doesn't seem as significant. (these numbers are also a few years old, so 1500 could easily be more like 3000 now). However, it is still a good increase, especially considering that the 1500 were cruft.
@SterlingArcher They don't understand. They do care though.
 
I hope they do
 
It is a common misconception that new users don't give a f...
During the mentorship program a lot of us got to work directly with that type of user in chat, and mostly it was just misunderstanding.
 
You have to admit though after 8 years it's understandable why I would think that
 
Look, Stack Overflow is a wonderful place full of helpful content. So, if someone needs help, they immediately assume the best, that it can help them even with something so small as "X", and just post. They don't look at the rules, because they don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with asking something simple.
@CalvT Yes. That. More of that.
The most beneficial result of the mentorship program was that users learned not to ask without putting effort into their questions, and many questions were prevented.
That isn't to say users shouldn't ask, just that they should ask quality questions.
 
6:10 PM
Those are encouraging results -- but I fear a mass scale of that is quite improbable to achieve
Maybe not though, I hope not
 
@CalvT And half of that was people just opening and trying out the wizard to see what it was like? :P
 
It doesn't have to get to full success, even a 20% improvement would be the same as throttling new users from asking multiple questions (which had a huge impact)
 
@TravisJ oh man a 20% improvement would be so nice
I haven't answered a question in about 10 months now because the quality has been so low (when I'm online)
 
For example, consider the impact that the close vote review queue has: how many questions are closed per day that were in that queue? Maybe 1500. Even at small percent gains, these would help a lot, as they become competitive with longstanding high effort tools.
@SterlingArcher stackoverflow.com/…
Check some of those out if you get a chance, it is a good distilling
 
Did you just look at my tags?!
 
6:14 PM
In my opinion, they would have gotten better data if they hadn't forced existing users to create new accounts to see how the wizard looks like.
 
Those are private >:(
 
"The main reason to block the control group is that it messes with the data we are trying to collect" If that's your goal, then this has the opposite of the intended effect. Now you're forcing anyone who wants to test this to create new accounts until they get into the test, a mild annoyance for them, but they are now impacting test data. If you provide a way for anyone to see the wizard you have the ability to exclude anyone using that method from being included in stats (or tracking stats of it separately, to see how those users fair vs. normal users). — Servy Jan 31 at 22:03
 
@SterlingArcher Can has tag peek?
 
At least buy me dinner next time
 
all your tags are mine
Do you like the Franciscan?
 
6:15 PM
enjoy coldfusion sucker! ahahahahahahahahah *runs*
 
"ColdFusion runs on the JVM using a servlet engine." Sorry I looked
@SonictheWizardWerehog Yeah, I agree. I only have one account and don't really intend on changing that.
 
I did 2 years of CFM, I'll die before I go back.
 
I felt that way about Objective-C
 
Happy Nowruz everyone! \o/
About to log off, so
 
@M.A.R.ಠ_ಠ Happy New Year to you too :)
Enjoy the celebrations :)
 
6:26 PM
Sigh... Someone wrote Test Test... etc etc like 30 times at the bottom of their question :( Why?! The humanity of it all
 
But that one can go into H&I, right?
 
YES PLS
 
That's an edit the community can make :D
 
I'm 3 H&I reviews away from clearing all my queues today
 
@SterlingArcher All of them? Or only the SO ones? :P
 
6:30 PM
Only SO ones 😛 I am at work ya know
 
Work? What's that? :P
At this late hour? :P
 
It's all testing for me this week, I'm documenting my feature
6 months of development on 1 feature, finally coming to an end
 
Nice. I'm still bothering people to get an unit of work to test my thingies with, besides being bothered with people breaking things that I have never seen before. I apparently make a good rubber duck though :)
@SterlingArcher Big feature :) Sounds nice though, 6 months of working on a thing you understand :)
I've had to get used to 4 different code-bases and a new language since May last year. I hope this one lasts at least 6 months too :D
 
It really is nice developing a feature like that, the intimate knowledge I have with SVGs and d3 is intense now lol
Hopefully they're actual languages, at my last job I had to learn a "proprietary pseudo-language" that was like a mix of python and C# for this 3D modeling stuff I had to do
Such a waste of time lol
 
@SterlingArcher Ehh. This one is proprietary too.
hides
 
6:37 PM
My condolences :(
 
Found this gem the other day:
in The Awkward Silence on The Stack Exchange Network Chat, 1 hour ago, by Tinkeringbell
>> _if x _isnt _unset _andif
(y << x.method_call(:z)) _isnt _unset
_then
>> y[:gis_rwo]
_endif
>> is a return, << an assignment
 
Good lord
why
 
Because it works?
and apparantly just doing if x return y endif return unset is too much work
 
So does duct tape on my motorcycle but will it pass inspection? That's up to Jesus xD
 
And of course much too readable
Let us not mention the word maintainable either ;)
 
6:39 PM
On the bright side, if you're plowing out some of that code other devs would be like omg, is that hacking? What is happening
 
@SterlingArcher Depends on what's underneath the duct tape. If it's just for decoration XD
 
frame damage!
2 motorcyles duct taped in 1
 
@SterlingArcher Yeah or they're like 'HALP! Take time off from your task to explain this to me NOW!'.
 
I have had WAY too much coffee today
 
@SterlingArcher Hmmm. Can we add a roof?
 
6:40 PM
Only if it's gazebo style
 
Fancy. Let's take two different colours of duct tape for different sides as well then...
 
@TravisJ Because they were blocked from posting with the message "this is mostly code, add some text" (my guess)
Um, a nice message to a former colleague who was laid off.
 
@MSOGA If that's their kind of humor, why not let us enjoy it too?
If it really was out of line, I think Oded can handle himself.
 
Enjoy, then. :)
 
That's quite a common developer joke too
 
> I am a Saesforce expert who has about 10 years of salesforce experience. I can put time to contribute to the community by providing answers and guidance. salesforce.stackexchange.com/election/3#post-254626
SFSE and WWSE elections are not very active.
 
WW? woodworking?
 
yep
not ScienceFiction.SE nor WorldWar.SE
 
Some sites have established abbreviations, like SFF
WWSE is not so common.
 
Hahaha some abbreviations make me wonder sometimes
 
6:56 PM
Just seen your edit, for the prize idea it could be a simple signed card by Joel Splosky with a small prepaid visa in example (like 10$) — yagmoth555 ♦ 6 hours ago
Combine the two into a signed 10 dollar bill...
 
01:00 - 19:0019:00 - 00:00

« first day (3150 days earlier)      last day (34 days later) »